Hop back to the Ultimate Guide explaining the different Types of Juicers
Table of Contents
- 1 What is the difference between vertical masticating and horizontal masticating juicers?
- 2 Vertical or Horizontal Masticating Juicer; which is better?
- 3 What are the benefits of Vertical Masticating Juicers?
- 4 How do vertical masticating juicers work?
- 5 When you should choose a Vertical Masticating Juicer:
- 6 When you should choose a Horizontal Masticating Juicer:
- 7 Where Vertical Masticating Juicers Shine:
- 8 Where Horizontal Masticating Juicers Shine:
- 9 Conclusion:
What is the difference between vertical masticating and horizontal masticating juicers?
The main differences between vertical and horizontal masticating juicers are the space that they take up on your counter, the type of produce the work best for, and the overall versatility. Vertical masticating juicers are taller with a smaller footprint, in comparison, horizontal masticating juicers are shorter with a larger footprint. Horizontal masticating juicers offer more versatility by performing better with a wider variety of produce and making more than just juice.
Vertical or Horizontal Masticating Juicer; which is better?
A horizontal masticating juicer is better due to its versatility. The horizontally rotating auger performs better with a wider array of fruits and vegetables, in addition, horizontal masticating juicers can make baby food, pasta, nut milks, nut butters, frozen desserts, and salsas.
For these reasons, I suggest purchasing a horizontal masticating juicer, this Omega Juicer is a great option.
What are the benefits of Vertical Masticating Juicers?
Vertical masticating juicers have 3 main benefits over horizontal masticating juicers.
- Vertical Masticating Juicers save counter space as they have a smaller footprint than their horizontal cousins.
- Larger chute openings: some vertical masticating juicers have chute openings large enough to fit a full apple, this will save you time prepping produce.
- Vertical juicers yield a bit more juice than horizontal juicers.
How do vertical masticating juicers work?
- Fruits and vegetables are fed from the top of the unit
- The produce self-feeds into the unit
- Produce is chopped into small pieces on the way in
- An auger slowly crushes the produce and presses against a large screen
- Pulp is ejected from a pulp ejection port
- Juice is ejected from the juice port
When you should choose a Vertical Masticating Juicer:
If you have limited counter space, will only be making juice with your juicer, and like the idea of saving time by not chopping produce then a Vertical Masticating Juicer is right for you. This model has a wide chute and a small footprint.
Vertical masticating juicers also have more of a design element, if you are concerned with the design of your kitchen these tend to look better. If this describes you, check out this vertical masticating juicer that has won multiple design awards. Or this Rose Gold juicer!
When you should choose a Horizontal Masticating Juicer:
If you plan on making more than just juice with your juicer, I suggest this versatile horizontal masticating juicer, it can make baby food, pasta, nut butters, and even grind your coffee.
Horizontal juicers are also offered in a wider price range, making them more affordable than vertical juicers, check out these truly affordable juicers.
Where Vertical Masticating Juicers Shine:
- When juicing soft produce, like berries
- Space saving design takes up less counter space
- Producing juice yield, some produce around 10% more juice than horizontal
- Produce prep time can be shorter if you purchase a wide mouth version like this
- Self-feeding nature creates less need to constantly push produce into juicer, check out this Hurom AI with self-feeding hopper
Where Horizontal Masticating Juicers Shine:
- When juicing hard produce like carrots and beets
- When juicing leafy greens like kale and wheatgrass
- Assembly and clean-up tend to be faster
- Horizontal juicers can produce juice faster
- Horizontal juicers are offered in a wider price range allowing more budget friendly juicers
- Can make nut butters, baby food, grind coffee, etc. They are more versatile
At the end of the day you cannot go wrong with a masticating juicer, whether you choose a vertical or horizontal juicer.
Vertical juicers offer some time savings on the front end, if you purchase one with a wide chute, however, they tend to take longer to clean, assemble, and make juice. Therefore, total time investment is similar whether you are using a vertical or horizontal masticating juicer. Click here to see my comparison tables of how long it takes to make juice with each type of juicer.
Horizontal masticating juicers offer more versatility, more budget friendly option, and perform better when juicing leafy greens and dense vegetables.
A vertical masticating juicer is great if you are short on space, concerned with juice yield, or will only be making juice with your juicer.
My recommendation is to purchase a juicer, regardless of the type, but if choosing between a vertical masticating and a horizontal masticating juicer, I suggest the horizontal masticating juicer due to its versatility. You may be using this juicer for a decade or more, so this more versatile option will suit your changing needs over time.
I hope this comparison of Vertical Masticating and Horizontal Masticating Juicers was helpful in showing the differences between the two.
Leave a comment below, I’d love to hear if you decided on a Vertical or Horizontal masticating juicer and why.
If you are unsure what type of juicer is best for you, hop over to my in-depth guide that covers all types of juicers along with what each is best for.
Until next time, happy juicing!